Saturday, November 14, 2009

No Business Like Show Business, Like No Business I Know!

I know, I did it again Internet, I took some time off for my real life and forgot to update you. I apologize, but I will not be sorry for living my life! Ha, anywho, been real busy with life and especially theatre has seemed to consume the brunt of my days, these past few weeks being a haze of monologue learning, and scenes being rehearsed and being written and oh, it's been a lot. Let's see if I can go through and tell you what's been going on.

But first let me say I am feeling a lot better then before; had a bit of a nasty cold/flu/bronchitis thing the past week but am about 97.5% better then I was. So, almost there.

But the thing to say is, Fallen had its first reading this past Wednesday, with the cast, the director, and whoever else wanted to come, sitting down to read the first draft. God, it was nerve-wracking. It was insanely exciting and cool, don't get me wrong. But man, after they finish reading it, you go through the notes you have, and then ask them questions, and they tell you things they noticed, or things you need to work on, or things that could be better, or you could add, subtract, multiply, divide, and so on and so forth, until you feel like an idiot or your head is about to explode.

Which, don't get me wrong, is what the process is all about; writing is not a beast you slay once and then the tale is over, only rarely is that truth. The first draft is a mad flurry of brush strokes onto a canvas, furiously finding the color and shapes needed to help make your baby. Editing however, especially with a deadline, is finding that you're floating on the ocean with a boat riddled with holes; it is the rapid filling of those holes, with whatever works and whatever can help keep the boat afloat. If it doesn't work, it's going to sink and you have to hurry to fill it with something that will. 

But don't let this description fool you. It is a hurried, frenetic amazing experience and I look forward to seeing what I can do to make this boat not only stay afloat, but stay golden.

Also, I had auditions and callbacks for the Spring shows here at UAlbany. I got a callback for one of the shows, 10 for 2010, a show of ten scenes from ten great plays in UAlbany Theatre's 100 year history. I did not get one for the Crucible, which I am disappointed about, but what are you going to do? I mean, I was upset, of course, but hell, I may just not be the guy they were looking for. I guess since I had worked with Chad, the director, last year, I may have been given a shot or something, but you know what, it's okay. He's a great guy and we worked well together but that doesn't mean he owes me something. He's got to do what he has to do to make this the best show possible for him, and if I'm not right for a part, it's nothing against me, it's just out of my control. And I'm okay with that.

Because it's show business and that's the way things roll . . .

But here's hoping I get cast for 10 for 2010 and you'll know if I am soon!

Also, expect a couple of book reviews up here soon, I know I've been slacking haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment