Friday, August 21, 2009

Asterios Polyp

Wow.

I say again, wow.

I just finished reading Asterios Polyp, a new graphic novel by master artist and writer, David Mazzuchelli. I had no idea what it was about going in, nor did I wish to. All I'd heard, was that it was amazing and was not to be missed.

They were right.

As story goes, it is a beautiful piece about a man who spends the first half of his life, living as himself, for himself. Regardless of where he is, who is talking to or about, Asterios Polyp, esteemed architect and man about town, is the toast of the scene and the lover of the spotlight, even if he doesn't mean to be there. And while he experiences love with the beautiful Hana, it dissolves, as he overshadows her and she eventually, cannot take it. By the end, he has gone on a journey, the like of which philosophers DREAM they could go on. And his ending is sudden, and poetic and funny, and obviously foreshadowed, but he is content and has learned his lesson: You cannot live only for yourself and still be a happy man.

Story aside, I envy Mr. Mazzuchelli's ease with art and line and form, and ugh! It's amazing, amazing, amazing, artwork, as both letters and art share the narrative and it flows so well together and oh man . . . it's amazing . . .

I can't praise this book enough. Even now, I have a feeling of ease about me. A feeling that I am satisfied by what has occurred in this book, yet I have absolutely no problem, going back and going on that journey all over again. Because though Asterios may be overconfident and snarky, and a bit of an ass at first . . . well, he learns, and so did I.

Gnight.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that asterios polyp was the name of a greek hemmarhoid

    ReplyDelete